Mar 27, 2011

Made room for randomness

The only problem with going out into the wilderness and clearing your head is that now you have room up there for a lot of random thoughts.



If you keep your brain stuffed with school schedules and work problems and stuff like "get more kitty litter" you really can't squeeze in things like "why does curdled milk fat make butter but curdled milk makes me gag?"

And where's the bus stop to the alternate universe?

And why does the Travelin' Van look much better in the light of nature?



Along the leafy path, you become more aware of your surroundings, so that you can wonder

where are the bears and alligators the sign warned me about?

In the mindful pace of the woods, one can ponder great existential questions like

what is this thing, and how did it die and is it an alligator?




In the stillness of the forest you have time to makes lists of things that matter. Not grocery lists. Not errand lists. No 'things I wish my spouse would do' lists. Not that I've ever made one of those.

Nope, you make important lists, like my "Things NOT to do" list:
#1-Get eaten by a bear.
#2-Get eaten by an alligator
#3-Marry a statistician

#7 on my NOT to do list: get hugely fat.
However, the new butterfinger bites may move this off the list.


TO DO list:
#1-Visit every Presidential library. I know, I'm a nerd. I'm comfortable in my nerdiness. I embrace my nerdiness.
#2-I need to hurry if I'm going to see every National Park before I die...
#3- Encourage and support The Whee's musical interests. The Whee is now playing bass drum. It is not a subtle instrument.
#4-Have a trail named after me. Second only to my nerdiness is my ego.



    Happy Trails, and may you always have room for adventure!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is butter really curdled milk fats?