Mar 30, 2011

What we found in the Sabine

Being a dyed-in-the-wool Sooner, I took a solemn oath to dislike all things Texan, particularly anything shaped like a Texas football fan, player or longhorn.

Therefore I am making a disclaimer that this is not a "liking", merely an objective review of one of the best National Forests I've been in. It's merely a unbiased bragging about one of the coolest places on earth. It is a dispassionate discussion about a place where I exercised my passion. An unprepossesed mention of place.

The campsites here are generous, roomy, widely spaced wonders on the edge of the water.  Who are those guys and why do they keep following me?



It was delightfully green and warmer than Oklahoma. It also has my favorite trail to date:



It has woods, and water, and beach, and trails. It had great people staying there. I didn't meet a single Texan. It had frisbee fanatics. These are frisbee fanatics whose frisbee don't float.



It had the largest mosquito and nocturnal insect population in the entire world. It had blue-tailed lizardy things. Lizardy things are less creepy than swarms of insects carrying off poodles.



It had amazing sunrises.


Texas may have redeemed itself...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're asking a lot for a Sooner to say good things about Texas...