Dec 6, 2010

All is calm, all is bright

A few years ago I had to "pander to popular prejudice" and trade in my Nikon 35 mm for a digital SLR. That was four years ago and I still don't know how to use the dang thing. It has a mind of its own. I choose the settings, and the camera changes them all by itself, chuckling gleefully in its little electronic brain.

That's why I'm always amazed when a picture actually turns out the way I want it to. I'm even more amazed when it turns out better than I hoped for.

Such was the case last year when the Whee and I were stalking electric reindeer in my mom's neighborhood. Whee 'n me were attempting some night time camera shots. (It's sort of catch-and-release deer hunting).  Mom's house is always decorated to the hilt, and when we returned, hoping for hot chocolate, I tried a shot in the dark. (Merry Christmas. Puns do not take a holiday). This is what I got.



enh- ok. Not horrid, definitely not great. The lights are evident, nice color in the night sky. But kind of glaring. I wanted something that imparted the sense of quiet and stillness we felt. So I tried once more.





Oh yeah. All is calm. All is bright. May your holiday dreams come true.

1 comment:

Anna said...

We use our pictures of our house for Christmas cards.