Sep 30, 2011

Fozzils are fun.

Fozzils are fun.  Fozzils are flat.  Fozzils are for food.  Fozzils are flat-out ingenious.

Fozzils are plastic dinnerware that snaps together, unsnaps, and folds completely flat.



It comes with a plate, a bowl, a cup, and a spoon. I acquired my set courtesy of Backwoods, when I asked the manager if she had any new things she'd like me to try out. I would live in the Backwoods store if they would let me.



It took The Whee about .07 seconds to figure out what was going on with the Fozzils and put them together. It took Philoboy about 12 minutes to realize that if he wanted to eat, there was 'some assembly required'.

Look Ma, it's  so easy I can do it with my eyes closed!



The spoon worked great for oatmeal, and ok for noodles. We found that liquids had a tendency to run back down through the handle and onto your hand. And it wasn't very comfortable in your mouth. We chucked the spoon.



The dishes, however, broached no complaints. Since it's a plastic polymer material, and isn't insulated, you can't hold a bowl full of boiling hot soup in your hand, but the bowls are sturdy enough you can hold the sides without fear of it collapsing or unsnapping.



I took them backpacking this last weekend, when the night temperatures hit 48 degrees. They fit flat in my food bag, and were a "snap" to use and clean (sorry, I've been poor pun deficient for a while now).

But I wanted to know what would happen when they got really cold. Would the plastic get brittle and break? Since there was no blizzard in sight, and I have an aversion to camping in the cold anyway, my solution was to put them in the freezer for 30 minutes. My whole life is just one big laboratory.

They worked just fine. The material was stiffer, but not brittle. I snapped and unsnapped them several times. That will be the final test that only time will tell- how long will the snaps hold up with frequent use? The only way to find out will be for me to go camping frequently. Oh darn.

The Fozzil set retails at Backwoods for $17.95.  I think it makes the cut for backpacking, for your picnic basket, and the Whee thinks it works great in her lunch box. I think I want my Fozzils back!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is that ramens I see?