Jul 27, 2010

The Nature of School Supplies

I took the Whee shopping for school supplies.  Can you say ouch?  Not only have prices shot up, but the list put out by the school was two pages long!  Apparently entering junior high is a very complex event.  I remember junior high as something I couldn't wait to get out of.  Let's not even talk about those lockers...

As an environmental advocate, I push for supplies made from recycled materials, sustainable materials, and supplies that can be re-used for several years (yes, I'm one of those horrid mothers who think you don't need a new backpack every year).  So when we do find those items I have to put my money where my mouth is, because invariably the recycled stuff is more expensive than the fresh-killed trees stuff.

There is a dearth of notebooks made from recycled paper. I found one brand, after looking through three stores.  They're pretty plain jane, but they fit the environmental bill.




And then I found some made from "well-managed forests and other controlled sources."  WHAT does that mean?!?!  I really wanted to know, so I looked them up.  (I love the internet.  Legitimate stalking).  I found their mission statement, but it still doesn't tell me WHERE those managed forests are or who's managing them.   I prefer full disclosure.

Still, I bought a couple based solely on their aesthetic appeal to my nature side. For me, not the Whee.  Cause the fun thing about going back to school is the new notebooks and the clothes.  And friends.  Not the homework part.  Look at these gorgeous colors.  Almost as good as the real thing.




These make me want to write something Walden-ish.  Something profound, and so beautiful it moves you to tears. My grocery lists moves me to tears, but it's not the same thing.

And pens to match, of course.  With flowery designs.



Do your part- ask your local retailer to stock products made from recycled materials, then shop shop shop!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure that you get her some cool stuff. Don't be a Dorky mom!!!

EcoClan said...

Frustrating to waste even more fuel and add more carbon emissions looking for recycled products.

Anonymous said...

[color=#c5228c]Great post! thank you for sharing this information. momonvacation.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#c5228c]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]