Jul 18, 2010

The sum total

What do you get when you add:

1 River
2 trucks
3 kayaks
1 canoe
5 bodies
1 capsize.  No, maybe that should be a minus. No, it was hilarious, add it in twice.
1 capsize
24 hot dogs and
94 degrees   =

One heck of a good day!  The Familia Flotilla set sail at sunrise...



and headed to Fall River.  Week long rains had raised the water level about 3-4 feet.  Most of it was just lovely floating, but one spot-oh baby can you say class II!?!?  And that wasn't even the place that capsized the canoe!

The usual cast of shady characters was in attendance: Philo, me, and Uncle Rick. We added a couple of cousins to make it more interesting. Here's the first victim, I mean explorer, out of the gate.



Here she comes.  Look at the great big smile.  Little does she realize what awaits downriver...



And there she goes. Bye bye, Krystal!  She's headed back to Tulane.  But not in the kayak.




Now here's this guy.  He's already off keel and taking on water.  What's up with that?



He's just happy to be here.



And here are the canoeists.  They look so happy.  And dry....



This was our last major family fling before everyone heads back to school and college (no, college is not the same as school. It is an alternate reality).

Five hours where we were either paddling like crazy through the rough spots or fending off sneak attacks of paddle splashing.  Sunburned.  Oh, I forgot to add in the 20,000 mosquitoes.





I only wish I had a picture of the Great Capsize.  One minute I see them paddling, I look back and they are up to their chins in water and all I can see of the canoe is an outline. It was great.

Time to pull out for a break.  Man, Matt Hasselbeck has nothing on this guy. 



This is Jed, Philo's cousin. The boy displaces a lot of water.



And really throws himself into the game.



Our pull out from the river was followed by a lot of thunder, so serendipity hot dogs!  Excuse me miss, your state park pass does not include an aerial permit.  What?  A frisbee?  I don't see any frisbee. And why are all those weird dudes standing around watching you?



I really am fighting the whole idea of summer ending. No more cookouts? No River?  No Fishing?  (nope, there will still be fishing).  Aww, please say it ain't so!

Just one more itsy bitsy backpacking trip?  A teeny weeny campout? 

I think I'm going to go lay on the floor and kick and scream.  Or maybe just look at the pictures...




    Happy Trails, and may your adventures add up to something great.

No comments: