Aug 7, 2011

Hike-it-y-doo-da

Why let a little heat dissuade you from summer fun?  Because 110 degrees is too freakin' hot to move, that's why! We have spent the summer as mounds of ice cream-devouring slugs in front of the AC. It's been pathetic. Ugly and pathetic.

When I was in Arkansas this week, giving myself heart failure on a zipline, it was 83 degrees. I have one thing to say about that-
nah-nah-nah-nah-boo-boo.

Sorry, my inner brat wriggles out sometimes.

I squoze (yes, squoze is a word. I saw it in the Blogger Dictionary) in a little hiking before and after the canopy adventure. It was hotter than 83 when I was treading the trails. I chose to ignore that fact, and the fact that my hair was dripping onto my glasses, blurring my vision. That's also my excuse for the blurry pictures.



The Lost Valley area, at Ponca, Arkansas, has some wonderful trails. The area used to be open for camping, but has been downgraded to day-use only, due to extensive damage from ice storms, flash floods, and inconsiderate campers.



The trails wind around cool rock formations, over streams (now called gravel pits), to some caves and several waterfalls. Except these were more like...um,, airfalls. They ain't got no water.



The trail crew, which, by the way, does a fantastic job of maintaining the trails, told me they had dehydrated the water and were keeping it in a drawer back at the office. Park Service humor is, uh, different.



Still, hot and dry as it was, it was beautiful. And full of beautiful things. And way better than being a sorry slug sitting in the city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fern shot is nice.

Anonymous said...

Were you harassing the help again?