Jul 26, 2011

Back to the Babble

Well, we've all survived a hospital stay, 115 degree heat index, a phone repair that took 7 days, and Ash Kitty's epic crash into the cat door that was locked shut. I think I might have just found my first gray hair. Oh no, wait, that's just sheetrock dust. Never mind.
After all that excitement, it's good to sit quietly, sip some cool carrot lemonade (sounds awful, tastes great; don't judge), watch Ash Kitty walk around shaking his head, and think of cooler times, just a few days past.
After rafting, the girls and I tried to pack an infinite number of things into a finite space. We drove to the Royal Gorge. I did not encourage my children to break the rules and climb on the rocks to look down. I did not, however, ahem, discourage my children's love of exploration...




Daughter #1 saw the Gorge from the bottom earlier in the day, as she was navigating the Class IV rapids. After that, everything else looks pretty tame.



Because we wanted the trip to be something for everyone, the next stop was for me, The Mom. The Queen Bee. The Life Giver. The one behind the wheel that said "we're stopping here."



Rocks. A fabulous rock shop. Who else do you know would drive 12 hours to look at rocks? Well, my niece Karen the Geologist would... but I think she gets paid to do that.
Did you hear the one about the hunter who filled his deer tags for the season?  Yeah, it was a peridot.
Know what you call a military man in the ocean? Aquamarine.

Rock humor. Only special people have it. Would you believe I actually stay awake at night thinking this stuff up? Somewhere, my niece is giggling, even if you aren't.



Gems, geodes, rocks, glass. After I got my mineral fix we went on to an activity chosen by The Whee.



Horseback riding up the mountain. Since Daughter #1's allergy to horses makes her have Linda Blair moments, just the Whee and I went. The Whee said this is my regular station in life- always ridin' someone's butt...


With a great deal of effort, I refrained from spooking her horse.




And last, and in the mind of some of our group, almost the least- Seven Falls. I remembered them as much bigger. D #1 said she'd been hosed. It was our final stop in the land of wonder.




And then we dropped an exhausted Whee with her Grandmother, Aunt, Uncle and a slew of cousins to visit for a couple of weeks, and D#1 and I headed home.



The drive home gave us some girl time to discuss life matters; important stuff like "why does the washer only eat socks from the good pairs?"
As an aside, let me mention here that if you are driving from Denver to OKC, stay on the interstate, far away from state highways. It will save you two hours and an expensive conversation the CHP. That's all I have to say about that.

 Happy Trails, and may your adventures be infinitely satisfying!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! What did you drug that girl with? That's the only time I've seen her still!

Paige Eissinger said...

I just love to read about you and the girls, Traci. Your blog never fails to put a grin on my face!

Traci said...

Thanks, Paige!!!

Jeff said...

Why did you lock the cat out?!?!?