Jul 21, 2011

She'll be comin' round the mountain

You really can't go to the Colorado Springs area without going up Pikes Peak. Well, you could, but you shouldn't. There's some sort of law about that.


The girls and I took the tram up. That tram's been chugging up the mountain since before I was born, and I can tell ya, that's a long time!

Philoboy and I drove up the Peak a few years ago. There's no pavement. There's no guardrails. It was really windy. My truck kept moving closer to the edge. It's the only time I can remember seeing Philo white-knuckled.



It was kinda nice to sit back and let the cogs do all the work. You can look around and not worry about veering off the road and plunging 12,000 feet to your death. You can talk to the person beside you and they won't say, between gritted teeth, "I'm trying to drive up a mountain with no guardrails. Shut up."  Not that I know anyone who would say that. I'm just sayin'...



We saw a lot of yellow-bellied marmots. These are not to be confused with a white-bellied mama, or a lily-livered mutha. One guy shouted "beaver!" He's more than a little confused.



The top, the top!!!



We scrambled off to grab our Pikes Peak donut and wolf them down before the return trip.



This was the peak experience of our day (sorry, I'm out of poor pun medication), and the coldest of the trip. A lovely 46 degrees. I did not ONE time say to my girls, as they shivered and quivered and begged me to hurry with the pictures: "I told you to bring a heavy coat." Not ONE time. Maybe not JUST one time. heheh  Not that I get a lot of satisfaction from being right. I do, however, get tremendous satisfaction from saying "you should have listened to your mother."



  Happy Trails, and may all your adventures be hard to top!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Brrr!!

Tyson said...

When we did this trip I enjoyed the drive up...I really enjoyed the ride up on the cog railroad..but I truely LOVED the oxygen bar!!!