Jul 9, 2011

She Who Swims with Snakes

okay, I'm finally getting back in the swing of things. The triple-digit heat has sapped my energy and fried my brain. Remember that ad about "this is your brain on drugs?"  Your brain in an Oklahoma summer resembles a rubbery hockey puck. It's not pretty, I can tell ya.

But I digress.  Let's talk about the Whee. The Whee has had the most adventures of anyone this summer, and she still has more to come. I'm living vicariously through my girls this summer.

The Whee has added scuba diving to her repertoire of activities in which she can participate.




When she did her open water dives in a private lake, there were some resident observers.  They looked like this:



Knowing my daughter's penchant for excitability, I called her over and quietly informed her of the creepy swim buddies all around her, and told her NOT TO SCREAM if she saw one. This was going to do one of two things-
-make her not scream
-make her look for the snakes and scream even louder.

Fortunately, it was a combination of the two. She was hypervigilant, moved away when she saw the slithery critters, but enjoyed way too much pointing and telling her dive friends, "there's a snake behind you."  I don't know where she gets this nefarious bent.



Add this to the list of reasons why I'm not an in-the-water person. In my book, if it slithers it dies. The Whee added this to her list of "Why I need a dive knife".



                Great, I may have just created a new shark hunter.

Happy Trails, and may all your adventures be more than you bargained for!

3 comments:

Gretchen Steele said...

LOVE this! and Southern IL heat and humidity have fried my brain like an egg too. Found myself wishing I was in the water with Whee :) But then it it slithers.. I feel compelled to pick it up and say hello LOL

Anonymous said...

Aghhh!what kind of snakes are those!?!?

Anonymous said...

This looks like more good stories in the making...