May 20, 2011

Food Swaps



I'm so excited for my friend Christine, who lives far, far away in a land called New York.

Christine is now a blogger in the group From Scratch Club
http://fromscratchclub.wordpress.com/.

I'm envious of the emphasis on sustainable living, organic foods, and the number of people who are involved in local food co-ops. I love the idea of the food swap that they are planning.

(Philoboy says I do a food swap several times a week. I swap hard-earned cash for groceries. Not the same).

The large college town in which we reside has a farmers' market, open twice a week in season. In college towns, (I think) you are more likely to find folks who want to live the sustainable ideal, understand food miles, and desire organic produce. This area is quite proud of itself for having a nice farmers market, as they should be.

However, as evidenced by the FSC site, there's more to be done. From creating micro-agriculture in greenhouses during the winter to establishing community gardens, fresh, local food has miles to go (sorry, couldn't help the pun. Sometimes the urge just overwhelms me).

I am also being overwhelmed by the urge to preserve. Even though I don't have my own garden this year, I plan on raiding Daughter #1's garden spot, as well as buying by the truckload from the farmers' market. And then I will go spend $148 on canning jars so I can save money by preserving my own food.

I have to buy more canning jars because mine have gone through attrition. Attrition for a mason jar means:
  • The jar was left in the creek where it was being used to seine for tadpoles.
  • The jar was broken in moving.
  • The jar now holds make-up and hair doo-dads.
  • The jar is on Philo's desk holding spare change.
  • The jar was loaned to other people who needed just a few more to finish their own canning.
  • The jar was used to take a science experiment to school and it's still in the lab.
  • The jar is on the bookshelf where it's serving as a bookend and picture propper-upper.

If  you have any food you want to swap- let me know. I have cats and children to trade...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll have to swap salsa AND a cat for something else!