May 28, 2011

A longhorn story

I love looking at longhorns. I can't explain it. Maybe it's the variations in color and patterns. Kind of like kaleidoscopes on the hoof. Kinda.

This one was unhappy with me, because I kept pulling the truck in front of her, and she wanted to cross the road to the other side. The grass was greener, you know.




This big guy was impressive. I heard there's good eatin' on one of them things.... His name is Lenny.


Lenny the Longhorn had brown spots on his hide
They wouldn’t rub off, no matter how hard he tried.



He’d lean on a tree, to scratch his brown spots,
When he was done, he still had those dots!


Lenny would splash through each creek and stream,
To have a white coat was Lenny’s big dream.


Still, each spot stayed put, marks colored like mud.
One shaped like a heart, one shaped like a spud.


But when Lenny met Laura, she said “My, what a nice skin!”
And Lenny never bothered his brown spots again!




This old bull looks tired. I bet it's a lot of work to ride herd on all the cows with new calves.

"Eat here, eat there. Count the cows. Count the calves. Run the coyotes off. Jeesh, my work is never done."




What about this gang of hooligans?

Hey, I bet I can start a fight if I kick that guy behind me!"




 I wanna go play with the other kids, but momma says I'm too small.




I'm gonna go check out those flowers while momma's not looking.




"Sigh.  Young bulls. I'm gettin' too old for this."



Happy Trails. I hope your adventures are wonderful, and that's no bull!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

But WHY is the grass greener on the other side?!?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that group of calves are thinking about busting through the fence..