May 27, 2011

Refuge Babies

I love spring. I can shed so many layers, I can move again. I can breathe again. I'm no longer huddled over the space heater under my desk. I'm through with cooking soup for a few months.

And there's babies in the spring. Not mine, mind you, which makes them even better. Not that I mind my babies, I'm just glad they're big enough to carry their own bottles now.

Daughter #1 and I spotted a few new little ones in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge this week.

Like this little guy. Goslings were not all that numerous, and we were careful to not stress mom and dad by getting too close.




And this totally adorable creature. Momma prairie dog was letting it be known -loudly- that she did not appreciate visitors to the nursery.




And this little guy. He looks so clean and...shiny white.  How long before he gets mud on that shirt, you think?



Ahhh, new life. I never get tired of it.

  Happy Trails, and may your adventures put a spring in your step!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The baby calf is cute! The baby prairie dog looks like a rodent!

Anna said...

All the babies are cute! The calf is my favorite, though.

Anonymous said...

The Longohrn herd at the Refuge is so beautiful.