Jun 16, 2011

Whew!

Well, we've survived yet another storm passing through the plains. A day and half without electricity. Two days without air conditioning. I HAD to eat those two gallons of ice cream before they melted. It was hard, but I sacrifice when it's important. That's just the kinda gal I am.

I'm a real life pioneer woman who can be tough when I need to be, but I think AC is probably the greatest invention of all time, followed closely by the microwave. Cool air when it's 101 outside tends to make my family get along better. Slightly less likely to kill each other. Heat, close proximity, chocolate cravings, and a teenager who can't stop drumming on things tilt things the other way.

Now that the cool breath of life has been restored to our abode, we can concentrate on more important things. The Whee is studying for her scuba class. I'm writing lecture notes for fall classes. Philoboy is finding the 127th way to call a ball player 'out!'  We all have our passions and our duties.

Summer is usually thought of as 'downtime', but in our house it's also planning time. Planning fall gardens. Planning school schedules. Planning Christmas crafts (yes, I'm very serious. Don't judge, I'm not crazy, I just need a lot of lead time). And of course, planning for fall B.O.W. (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) encampment. If you'd like to know more about BOW, read about it here.  I'd love to see all of you gals at the workshops.

But summers not all work and no play. We do leave some time for a slower pace of life, for food on the grill, for reading a magazine in the hammock, which is where I'm headed right now. I leave you with a wonderful picture of peace and reflection, courtesy of my friend Susan Bencke. Think of it as your own little corner of summer.

No comments: