Aug 26, 2010

Almost Grown

Daughter #1 is about to celebrate her 23rd birthday.  I can hardly write that number, for one reason she's a really old soul, so 23 doesn't begin to express the real her.



The other reason is because it was only yesterday I was nursing her and standing over her crib at night watching her sleep and looking out from the kitchen window as she chased the chickens, and...  Yep, mother lode of mother longing.

She's the daughter that made me a mother, that for all time established my identity as "so-n-so's mother."  She's my first baby. She taught me everything about what not to do as parent.

This old soul in a young body brings the two parts of herself together in the most introspective and artistic way. She made several of us plaques as gifts.  Mine hang in my kitchen.





This one is my favorite.  Simplicity is important to me. I don't think the wall I'm building keeps people out, I think it makes them curious to peer over and see what my life is all about.



The Whee has plans for an elaborate birthday cake.  I'm envisioning the mounds of icing right now. 

Motherhood is great.  Except when they go and grow up.

No comments: