Aug 30, 2010

Make way for ducklings

The 1941 book Make Way for Ducklings was a favorite from my childhood, and had the same charm to my daughters.  (For more info about this great children's book, check out the Book of the Week page).

So it was with a sense of deja vu' that I had the delight of making the acquaintance of these ladies and one proud fellow, in the middle of the city.




They had just come up the bank from the drainage spillway below, which was pretty deep and surprisingly clean for residential runoff.  I think they're doing the 'urban crawl.'  It's the duck version of pub hopping.



Judging from their interest in us, I'd have to say that they're not too wild as far as wildlife goes, but it was wonderful to see how wildlife had adapted to the encroaching of humans on their territory.

And just like in the book, traffic waited, (no traffic cop, which would have been so cool) while they waddled their little webbed feet across the intersection to the pond on the other side.

I love a parade with feathers!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great book!

JW

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't that be an "urban waddle"?!