Aug 22, 2010

In search of adventure

My daughters and I went to the movies the other night to see "Eat, Pray, Love." We had all read the book by Elizabeth Gilbert, so we knew what to expect to some degree. Julia Roberts did a fabulous job of course, but I found myself feeling the same frustrations as when I read the book.
Looking for peace, and one's self, and one's purpose is a leading theme of Gilbert's story. She travels to Italy, India and Bali in search of these elusive attributes.  Although it's stated by the medicine man in the movie, it's hard to see where Gilbert finally 'gets it'- peace, contentment, a sense of self and a life purpose-are all inside.

I can create a peaceful, beautiful, place near my home. Although it might not look like the Mediteranean Sea, I can find beauty if I look. I can find interesting people if I look. I can find someone to help if I try. I can alleviate my boredom, my discontent, my restlessness, all without hurting people or leading them on.
Adventures don't happen because you go to an adventurous place. Adventures happen as a result of the interactions of you with your environment. Find your adventurer within.

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

Very well said! I enjoyed the book, but I doubt I will go see the movie (though Javier Bardem's hotness may make me change my mind). Although I liked the book a lot, so much of its premise rests on a level of financial privilege that I'm unlikely to ever have. I have managed to travel a fair amount, but happiness and the spirit of adventure start with me - not with Spain, Mexico, Ireland, Italy, New York....

MN said...

Well said my dear! I too, found her journey unrealistic for the rest of us financially. Javier WAS worth the time, and James Franco is not to be sneezed at!