Aug 18, 2010

B is for Bison

Ahhh, back in the great outdoors!  Philo, the Whee and I made a day trip to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, OK.  For purposes of education,  historical significance and Sooner Pride, let me mention that this was the first wildlife preserve established in the United States.  Thank you Teddy Roosevelt!

Under drizzly skies we herded large bison bulls down the highway through the preserve.  Ok, actually we kept our distance behind BoBo the Big Buffalo Bull because he outweighed my Honda 2 to 1.




Rules for viewing the free-range bison and longhorn in the preserve:  keep your distance, stay in your car.  Don't feed the animals. 



I think he was licking up the water on the road.  I hope that 's what he was doing. I can't bear to think that the animals in the park have become addicted to oil, grease and carbon emissions.

The sunroof of the Honda is a perfect vantage point for photography, a safe vantage point! And the wildlife officer doesn't yell at you for being outside your vehicle.




I wish I could go back in time to the days when thousands of these massive mammals roamed in huge herds.  I've heard (and felt) the concussion when just one was stamping, I would love to feel the rumble of a million hooves.

That one stomping?  That was about 16 years ago, when I went to the Preserve with Daughter #1, and as I prepared our picnic, she slipped away over the rise, and was going to pet "the big cow" (bad side effect of growing up around cattle).

I heard the "huff" and felt the hoof, and faster than lightening realized all was not well and went looking for my baby.  And told her to back up slowly, wondering how my skinny 98 pounds were going to fair up against that hairy 2000. 

But all's well that ends well.  No one was trampled in the making of this blog.




    Happy Trails, and may you have a really big adventure!

1 comment:

Tyson said...

I really like going there. Sadly it has been to long since our last visit tho. And of couse one has to have a Meers burger while your there!