Aug 13, 2010

Paths less taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 


Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 


And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 


I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

...Robert Frost

I love this poem, it exemplifies everything about the way I think life should be lived:  outside, communing with nature, traveling, taking the risk of the unknown.

While not every path I've taken has been the less-traveled one, they have been some of the most mysterious, most beautiful, most intriguing, most interesting, and most memorable times of my life.  I just wanted to share some of them with you...




Isn't this awesome?  Makes me want to see what's around the bend.  This was a fluke photo taken by Cousin Jed using someone else's camera.  I think it worked out because he's a tree taller than the rest of us, and could get up in the foliage.
 
 
 
 
This is a different kind of path,  on the edge of a cliff.  I wasn't wondering where the path was going so much, but rather if the caboose end was going to end up at the same destination as the engine end. It wasn't a very wide path.  It made me, um, pay attention.
 
 
 
 
Another kind of path, not a walking one. This one made me want to go really fast! And honk the horn a lot!
 
 
 
 

Sometimes the path less taken has other travelers.  Share the road!  It's hard to beat a road with sights like this.  Unless this sight tramples you for being on her road.


Happy Trails, and may you always take the road less traveled!

2 comments:

Raquelita said...

That poem has also long been a favorite of mine. Great photos!

Jeff said...

beware the moose!