Apr 6, 2011

Chillin' at the Lake

Philoboy, Philoboy Action Figure, PAF's pup, and I spent the weekend at Lake Arbuckle, near Sulphur. Before I launch into my usual rambling, I want to give kudos to the park people and the campground.

This campground had the cleanest, nicest shower houses I've ever seen. I always take shower shoes with me, because shower houses are usually yucky. Some of them are even gross and disgusting. Not this one-I thought about taking the stove in there and eating dinner on the floor.

And many thanks to our camp hosts, Jerry and Susan. They were out-of-their-way accommodating, helpful, and friendly. Thanks, guys!

OK, now I can get back to my normal digression. There was so much to do here- I really think you can find an outdoor activity on your scale:

There's hiking.




We went up Bromide Hill. Twice. For the more adventurous, try hiking option #1- take a shortcut and end up on not-on-a-real trail. That happens a lot to us, yes. Hiking option #2-go around to the other side and walk it on the trail.

There's paddling and fishing. This guy's so photogenic.



I highly recommend staying behind the no-wake buoys if you're in a low- profile man (or woman)-powered paddle boat, kayak or canoe. There's a lot of serious fishermen on this lake, driving high-powered boats, intent on rushing to the next spot lest the fish leave on lunch break or something.

There's camping and bike riding...



There was also a bike option #2- in which some guy says "Let's take a shortcut between the campgrounds," and you end up taking your bike for a hike through the briars...  I recommend option #1-ride around on the road.

There's sitting by the fire, contemplating the state of nature... which I find to be solitary and my time in it always too short, but never brutish or nasty.




There's wildlife watching.  I have never seen as many species of waterfowl in one place as I did here. Ohmygoodness, look at all that life in motion...




There's cooking and eating. A LOT of eating. Cajun rice and beans-classic camp food. Watching the beans cook might count as an activity also, on a slow day.




In the 30 mph winds whipping through camp, the Kelly Kettle was by far the best bet if we wanted a hot meal. I had no trouble lighting it in the gale, and it still heats water faster than any other stove or device I've tried.


Believe me, early in the morning when I need hot water for coffee, speed is of the essence. The transformation from Mrs. Hyde to Dr. Jekyll is best accomplished with caffeine or chocolate. Ideally with both simultaneously.


Did I mention there was paddling? Floating on the waves, making like a giant bobber?  That's my favorite activity. Just point Rudy's nose into the wind and enjoy the view...



      Happy Trails, and may you find nature in an enjoyable state!

No comments: