Apr 25, 2011

Rainy Day ramblings

The last week or so has been scary, weather-wise, for a lot of people south and east of us. Seriously scary and bad. My heart goes out to them for their losses.

Being raised on a short hill in the middle of a flat spot in Oklahoma, tornadoes were a pretty common occurrence. You get kinda inured to it, like living in a place with bears, or in California with the earthquakes. You're just used to the hazards in your environment.

So all that rambling is to say that I don't get too panicky when there's a tornado warning.  Like a lot of Okies, I get my camera and go stand outside. This time, my camera caught this...



And then I thought about my baby was on the second story of an apartment building with her dog-wanna-be cat, and I got a little panicky. No cellar. No community storm shelter. For the first time, the thought of a tornado warning made think I might want to be somewhere else.

And then my baby came out, saw this, and went, "Oh, cool!", and we talked about what we would do if the sirens went off, and I realized she wasn't the least bit panicky or worried, so I handed her my camera, and went inside to cook dinner.

And she caught this...



And I realized you just prepare as best you can. You talk about the what-ifs and the what-should-you-do's, and instill some good sense and respect for nature. Because life's always gonna have some kind of storm...

No comments: