Apr 29, 2011

Needing a breathing treatment

When I go into a Backwoods, or a Cabelas, or heck, even a Dick's Sporting Goods, I start to have trouble breathing. I get short of breath, start panting, my ears begin to ring. Then I progress to drooling. I can't help it. When I'm surrounded by boots and backpacks and bags, it gets ugly.



There's prevention for this sort of thing, which entails me rushing from the store and flinging myself into the Braum's next door. I'm sure I'll get over this eventually, but don't hold your breath.


And then there's treatment for my disorder, which entails me finding "just one more thing" I might need for backpacking, or hiking, or biking, or kayaking.
Like socks. Wool socks, to be exact. I am now a lifelong fan of Smartwool socks. They come in all sorts of lengths and weights. I am now the proud owner of these lightweight, colorful summer wool socks.



Wool doesn't wear out, it keeps you warm even when wet, and it inhibits odor. I am trying to move The Whee into full time wool-sock wearing, because she has a serious case of odorous toe disorder.

"MOM!  Why do you tell people things like that about me!"

Because it's true, dear.

Take a deep breath, there's more to come from my foray into Backwoods this week, as well as some new food ideas for camping and backpacking. I know you're waiting with bated breath.

1 comment:

Lauren Barnes said...

I love that picture of the shoes!!!