Apr 14, 2011

Make like a Boy Scout!

I know there's still two more months of school (grooooan, oh yes I know; two loooong months), but preparations have already begun for summer fun. We pretty much live for summer and school breaks. Unfortunately, societal compunction, a dislike of juvenile delinquent facilities, and a fondness for eating force us to attend school and have semi-real jobs.

Preparing for summer activities like camping takes different forms depending on your level of expertise, the number of closets already crammed with outdoor gear, and how much of the preparation labor rests on the poor, tired, overworked mother. Lately, my preparation consists of grabbing a box of crackers and calling it good.

National and state parks have seen a significant increase in visitors in the last two years, due to economic changes and gas prices. I suspect it will be the same again this summer. For those taking their spawn (or grand spawn) into the wilderness, I'm passing on some great information from REI, on camping with kids. I love REI. REI should hire me, we would both be very happy. And I'd get an employee discount, which means I could also fill up the attic with outdoor gear. And the basement, except I don't have a basement. But maybe if I had that much gear, I'd get a basement.

Two months seems almost adequate time for preparing for a summer full of adventure. What are your plans?

No comments: