Apr 18, 2011

National Park Week

I feel I'm been somewhat remiss in not posting this earlier. My abject apologies!  Please feel free to beat me with a bar of chocolate.

April 16-24 is National Park Week and admission is free to all national parks. You should immediately stop what you are doing and drive to your nearest National Park. Right now. Put down the paper,  pack up a lunch, throw the kids in the car, and GO.

If that's not possible, then at least take a day and spend it at the nearest national recreation area, historic site or monument in your area (although I'm not sure the admission is free to those places this week).

The National Parks nearest to me are all in Arkansas, which can brag about having SIX National Parks. Hey, Hogs- share the love, will ya?!?! 

My favorite Arkansas spot just happens to be a National River, the Buffalo, and it also happens to rank in my top five trips ever.



This was the trip in which we had a close encounter of the hog type, and I'm not talking about rabid football fans.

I'd have to say some of my best outdoor memories take place in national parks. One of my other top 5 involves a national park in Colorado.



Oklahoma has national sites and monuments, as does Kansas. I could wander down into Texas to the LBJ Park, but probably won't right now, but I can't see not at least wandering through some historic sites locally. Otherwise, I might lose my Outdoor-Kinda-Gal Card.

However, whenever, with whomever, and as soon as ever...celebrate the outdoors!!!

    Happy Trails, and may your adventures be a walk in the park!

1 comment:

KW said...

I took advantage of National Park Week this weekend by visiting Colorado National Monument and Arches (Moab, UT). It was awesome.