Sep 18, 2010

It's all gourd

My early morning jaunt to the farmers' market turned into more of a photo op than a shopping spree.  I was too fascinated by the colors, shapes, and varieties of squash and gourds to think about feeding the family.

All sizes and fantastic shapes!  The little yellow one resembles a space ship. I'm going to pile a few on the table just to amuse me in the same way a kaleidoscope does. And yes, there is a pink one!




Wait- how did these guys get in there?  Do they count as squash?  I'm eggplant ignorant, I'm afraid. My enthusiasm for eating them was squashed some time ago.





These little guys remind me of targets for skeet shooting. Pull!!



What a rainbow of colors and patterns.  Simply gourdeous!!  (ouch, sometimes I really can't help myself).




Wow- this one needs moisturizer every day, and maybe some wart cream.




Speckles, splatters, splines, smooths, crooknecks, there's an entire patois of gourd vending that I never knew existed.




What a bright and shiny way to start my day.  Perhaps I should start looking for produce to put on the table as food.  Wait, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin butter; I'm good in the gourd section.


  Happy Trails, and may your love of adventure never get squashed!!

3 comments:

Tyson said...

Well did you get any bell peppers so I can make stuffed peppers for supper?

M.N. said...

I did! I like dinner around 6, thanks!

Tyson said...

Well they were ready where you?