Sep 7, 2010

The survival adventure

Philoboy and I are embarking on a new survival adventure.  It doesn't entail rappelling, or bears, or white water.  Oh no, nothing quite that cool.  This exercise in survival is closer to home.  In fact, it's IN our home.

We are sharing home office space. Sounds easy, you say?  How hard can it be, you say? Do fire and  ice exist in the same space?  Does green grass grow on hardpack?

Here's the problem.  One of us is a procrastinator and pack rat.  One of us is a minimalist and over-achiever. 





My take on this scene: cluttered. How can you possibly work in this environment? Philo's take on this environment: it's easier to find things if they're all lying on top of the desk. I say this is the sign of scattered brain.  He says this is the sign of an active brain.

Now compare to this workspace.



Serene.  Orderly, and organized.  Kinda Martha Stewarty with the antique matchboxes used as pen holders.  Much smaller space.  Philo's take on this space: obviously no one is working if there's nothing on the desk.  My take on this space: perfect sensory deprivation for the working woman.

I proposed a lovely Japanese screen around his desk. Something with a minimalist design on my side, and with fishing scenes on his side.

He's proposing cubicle dividers, but I noticed the floor plan he laid out put me from the front door to the kitchen to my desk.  When I mentioned this little faux pax, he said that those were my 'duty' areas.  See why someone might not survive this experiment?











No comments: