Sep 30, 2010

The Land of Smelly Water

Philoboy and I took a little day trip to the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. Back when I was a kid and my family camped there, it was called Platt National Park.  And it was stinky back then. Course that may have been the mildew in the big green canvas tent we used, a relic from WWII.



There are several nice trails around the Lake of the Arbuckles, well maintained, and easy walking.

CNRA has several natural springs in the area, full of minerals. It's by the town of Sulphur, if that gives you a hint. The water is 65 degrees year round, and crystal clear. It looked inviting, it made music, it was wonderful.

It didn't seem as odiferous as I remembered. Only one spring had a strong odor and taste. Buffalo Springs and Antelope Springs feed the Travertine Creek area, and create these wonderful deep, cold, clear blue-green pools.  I have trouble getting my mind around the fact these springs just keep...springing. Antelope bubbles out from under a rock, Buffalo seeps up though a large gravel pit.  And yes, I understand how the water cycle works, but still... it just keeps coming out.




We visited the nature center at the park.  This guy is an opportunist, if I ever saw one. Hey you!  Where's the original owner of that mobile home?!




And this one looks a little tipsy.  No more partying on the plains, dude!



Whether you call it Chicksaw Recreation Area, Platt National Park, or just Sulphur springs, this is a great place for a day (or two) of adventure.

     Happy Trails, and may you smell adventure in the air!

No comments: