Oct 18, 2010

An apple a day

Ohhh, I love apples in the fall. In Kansas, there is a cider mill within driving distance of our home, and I love to watch the apples swirl around in the big washing tank, then drop into the conveyor that takes them into the chopper and the press. Fresh-pressed cider is heaven in a mug.

I was so delighted when I found cider from that Kansas mill in the grocery store in Oklahoma.  It felt a little like home had followed us. Surely a glass of cider counts as that apple a day, right?

I'm sure hoping so, because my previous plans of an apple a day was shot down by the other two residents of this house. My first plan for daily apples dawned on me at State Fair time. A caramel covered apple a day.  Perfect.  State Fair has 'em. They're all over the place because it's halloweeny time.

This plan was discarded when a certain youngster sporting new braces looked at me with big, brown, sad eyes because she couldn't have one. Scratch that idea.

Plan B. There are apples aplenty at the Farmer's Market, so sliced and baked into a puff pastry shell with a little dollop of creme fraiche, or maybe drizzled with a cream cheese icing would count.  Especially if I ate enough tarts to consume TWO apples. Spouse was looking at me with squinty, reproachful eyes, because while he's not exactly dieting, he's "avoiding bread, pasta, and baked goods." Sounds to me like one of the levels of hell. Scratch Plan B.

Alrighty then, a fresh-from-the-market-stand Granny Smith it is, washed down with some warm cinnamon cider! That apple a day will keep home disharmony away!

4 comments:

Raquelita said...

Bwhahahaha! Admittedly, I probably would have looked at your plan B with some reproach as well. I don't avoid bread or pasta since I'm running so much, but baked goods.... At least you have the apple cider.

Anonymous said...

Do you remember putting red hots in your cider?

Lauren Barnes said...

Oh what's the cider called!? I must get some and try it!

Mother said...

Louisburg-I'll bring you some from Kansas this weekend!