Oct 14, 2010

It rocked my world

Some of you may have heard by now that Oklahoma experienced a 4.3 earthquake on Wednesday. 'WOW' does not begin to cover it.  Nor does 'scary' weird'  'exciting' or 'confusing', but if you mixed all those together it might come close to what I was thinking and feeling. It felt like this:




The furniture was moving all by itself, which was really creepy. I felt quakes a couple of times when I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma, but they were sort of slow, wavy, dreamy, things accompanied by the creaking of the door frame. This quake was very loud, and rumbly and shaky and not at all the kind of dream I want to have.

My brain was telling me that it was an earthquake, but my brain was also arguing with itself because little things, like the antique match holders on the wall, weren't moving, but big things, like my swivel chair, were spinning.

I was on the second floor of our building and I kept waiting for the floor to crash to the first floor, and the whole time I was thinking, "it's not that far, I'll survive the fall, I hope I don't squash the neighbor's cat."

Well, we all survived, and so far there has not been any aftershocks. Nothing broken, bent, tweaked, or cracked as far as I can tell. All I can say to that is- Oklahoma rocks my world!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I've been in one in California, Californians treat it like a traffic jam. Irksome but not a big deal.