Nov 30, 2010

Christmas Tree unmentionables

How one decorates their Christmas Tree is a very, very, personal thing. More personal than the underthings you have in the drawers. (You DO have some, don't you?!) Asking how someone decorates their tree (or why it's decorated like that) is like the nosy neighbor asking how much money you make.  IT IS NOT OK TO ASK PERSONAL QUESTIONS LIKE "WHY IS THERE A SPATULA ON YOUR TREE?"

So this is how much I love you out there in cyber land. I'm opening the drawers. Figuratively, of course. I'm gonna show you what's on my tree.


We actually have two trees, down from past year tree counts of four or even five in the house. I'm slacking and I'm ok with it, alright? One is on Kansas and one is in Oklahoma, because nothing is sadder than walking into a house any day from Thanksgiving to New Years and having no tree!!! (Unless of course, you're Jewish, in which case you would think you'd been assaulted by elves).

The Kansas Tree is our B.O.T. Tree- balls of twine, the idea is taken from the guiding principle of stopping at every Ball of Twine (literal or figurative) in every small town.



It has pictures and mementos of our trips each year. There's moose and motorcycles, clowns and two- headed turtles. I think I may need a larger tree soon. Of course, it's decorated with balls of twine.




Then the Oklahoma Tree. I like my trees to have themes, coordinated colors or concepts. This year, the tree's theme is... ummm, it's, well it's..
Family history, that's it!  In other words, horrendously eclectic and unmatched. But I love it. I always love my trees. My good friend and fellow blogger La Historiadora names her Christmas trees. I just found that out and I love the idea so I asked the Whee to name our tree.
Her moniker for our defector from the sylvan life- Spruce Willis, 'cause it's kinda bare on top.
She gets her creativity from her mother, of course.

Oh, yeah- we were talking about decorations. Sometimes I get distracted by shiny objects. So the Oklahoma Tree has past, present and future represented on it.
Past: ornaments crafted by my daughters or with my mom.




Ornaments passed down from my great-grandmother. This little kitty is ancient, like me.




More ornaments collected on our travels: From a glassblower in Branson,



from a shop in Santa Fe,




Present: A celebration of our respective states of residence. An ornament made from Kansas wheat straw.




An acknowledgment of who we are: outdoor folks, thus the pinecones and glass birds,



and a bird made from real feathers.



A whole collection of birds, actually. Some that make me laugh. This guy is asking WHO?  Who? because from the look on his face, he is totally clueless.




Ornaments given to us as gifts. Daughter #1 is especially thoughtful in this, bringing baubles from her trips,




She's good at finding trinkets of things I love, such as Norman Rockwell, with significant dates on them. What that date is significant of is right up there with asking about the spatula on the tree.



Future: an ornament representing the earth, just ONE of the planets I still want to visit!



Ok, once again blogging has removed any pretense of privacy, every modicum of modesty, and exposed every particle of personal life. First the dog, then my spouse, then my children, now my Christmas tree. My life is an open book. With small words and a lot of pictures. Maybe someday I'll tell you why there's NOT a spatula on the tree anymore.

6 comments:

flock of jayhawks said...

I'm upset that I can't put up my own Christmas tree for lack of room. I'm doing my best to remedy this, but Heath's not helping.

Tyson said...

I KNOW I KNOW IKNOW!!! HA at least I think I know...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Mandy! Maybe a tabletop tree??

flock of jayhawks said...

I thought of that, but we don't have a table to put one on.

Anonymous said...

LOL perhaps hang one from the ceiling? Sort of a chandelier tree!

Jeff said...

I can't believe you showed us your drawers!!! agghhhh