Nov 20, 2010

Cookin' and Eatin'

I noticed on my postings about the preparations for and excution of our Buffalo River kayak trip that food figured prominently in both plans and posts (and in my thoughts, obviously).

I don't think this is in any related to the fact that Thanksgiving is approaching and everyone is focusing on food (although we are). I don't think this in any way indicates that I have an obsession with food (although I might).

Sooo, I thought it might be fun to look at the 'big events' of the years and see who's (and what's) cookin'.


January of this year. Cozy little cabin at Crosstimbers State Park. Cozy cabin has a kitchen, and I'm pretty sure I was cooking soup. I gotta take more pictures for documentation so I can win the arguments.




Still January. No cooking, but Philoboy is about to eat a lot of snowballs, courtesy of the Whee.




June on the Ozark Highland Trail. Ok, so this time Philoboy's doing the cooking. The big downed tree made a great table for early morning coffee. What, flames under that campstove? No worries!!!




Still June.We didn't eat the chipmunk, but he worked really hard at stealing our cookies and crackers.




July, Rocky Mountain National Park. I'm quite sure we had more than cold cereal, but I can't prove it.




Fourth of July. Definitely a man holiday. I didn't have to touch anything here.  All skewers and hunks o' meat were handled by my hunk. I'd love to tell you some great fabrication about how the rock on the lower left is a special rock that adds flavor and tenderness, but no, it's just a rock. Its only contribution is keeping the rack level.




Still July. We didn't eat the fish, but it's such a great picture, and it was such a good trip, I couldn't leave it out.




Oh yeah, November. We already know about the Buffalo River outdoor kitchen,with bismati rice and tuna. And about the hogs who came to dinner.




If you were to look at only the circumstantial evidence above, you might be led to believe some myths that I am about to dispel right here.

Myth #1-
You might think that Philoboy did more of the cooking that I did. This is sooo not true, and from here on, I will be taking self portraits of the camp cook as evidence of the division of labor. Document, document, document.

Myth #2-
That we eat a lot of convenience food. This also is not true, and makes me think I should take more pictures of dinner. There's a lot of trips that have no photographic record of food at all. Does that mean we didn't eat? Please, those kinds of leaps of logic will get you elected to Congress.

Myth #3-
Food is a priority, a preoccupation, nay, an obsession. This is not the case, although I counted 29 blog posts this year related to other foods beside camping. This is normal. Repeat, this is normal.

Myth #4-
I'm having too much fun photographing wildlife, scenery, and events to take pictures of dinner. OK, this isn't really a myth at all. But because I am needing affirmation, I'm still going to photograph dinner. Every bite. Brace yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you shoulda ate the fish AND the chipmunk! hahahahahaha