Nov 24, 2010

Winding down at camp


Two days of hanging out with the women of B.O.W. (Becoming an Outdoors Woman) has made me live longer. I've been told that if you laugh out loud, it extends your life. If that's the case, I'm going to live to 107 because of this past weekend.

After the late afternoon feeding frenzy of our big feast, we did what outdoor women do-and it did NOT include napping on the couch, screaming at the TV while watching football, or belching. Well, two out of three anyway.



Nope, after everything was cleaned up, the cast iron washed and oiled, and recipes exchanged, we were off to experience the rest of the great day.

Some of the more energetic souls set off for a sunset cruise in the kayaks.



The wind had finally settled, and fish were working the surface of lake, well into the cove on which we were camped. Who can resist the Dance of the Fishes? Unless, of course, you suffer from Ichthyophobia....



Ahhh, our den mother gets everything ready for paddling off into the sunset. What would we do without her to take care of us? I know I need her! She rescued my camera when I absentmindedly left it sitting out.




Elaine was thankful for an opportunity to wear her new kayak boots. Sexy!!  I needed some of those puppies when my feetsies were freezing in the Buffalo...





The flotilla prepares to launch as the sun melts into the water.




Bye Wendy!  It looks like she's waving water wings.




There they go! Say hello to the fish for me!




They got some gorgeous pictures while out on the lake. Check out Oklahoma B.O.W. on Facebook if you'd like to see them.


Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Others had taken a hike to walk off the dressing, a fire was built up, chairs gathered. Someone put the coffee on, someone else put a pot of mulled wine on the fire, as people settled in to ward off the evening chill by warming up with hot drinks, side-splitting laughs, and bellying up to the fire.




The group talked into the night-the giggles, squeals, and laughs shooting up to join the sparks rising from the fire. I heard stories about Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Mexico, and other fantastic places that made my travel bug rise and whimper to be set free. Telling travel stories to a woman with wanderlust is like waving a drink in front of an alcoholic. It's just cruel.

Good night tents.



Good night kayaks.


Good night moon.

I eventually crept off to my tent, to fall asleep to a chorus of the Coyote Lullaby. I've decided that BOW really stands for Being Outside is Wonderful!

2 comments:

Terra Argo said...

Great job, Traci!!! I love reading your blog. I am so addicted to this now I wish I could be outdoors all day every day. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Love the kayaks in the moonlight picture!