Nov 13, 2010

I think I'm in love

A few days ago, before Philoboy and I set out for our very first ever kayak camping trip, we stopped by a place that is now near and dear to my heart. OK, to be honest, part of the dear part is that it's near. From our country home in Kansas, it was two hours in any direction to find a major chain restaurant, a university library, or a comprehensive sporting goods store.

But then we discovered OKC Kayak. Only 20 minutes from our city abode, I found heaven in a warehouse. And discovered levels of lust and greed I never thought possible in myself.




Confessionally- we are sort of forced to begin a search for new kayaks. The trusty twosome that have seen us through the last three years are Pelican fishing kayaks, that's all they are humbly meant to be. However, Philo's desire to be a whitewater boater has put the poor Pelicans in situations that caused doubt and fear to rise up in my throat, not to mention caused mutterings about "he does know he's walking home if he destroys that boat, doesn't he?"

But now, there may be saving grace for Philo's thirst for adrenaline and my desire to go far away from humanity. OKC Kayak is filled with every type of kayak imaginable. Rows of them. Stacks of them. Walls hung end to end with a rainbow of watery possibilities.




Play boats.  Whitewater boats. Recreational boats. Hybrids. Touring boats. Boats made of Kevlar. I don't know why I would need a Kevlar boat, but it sounds really, really, cool. I found kayaks that cost more than my children. And the boats do my bidding without talking back...




Owner Dave Lindo is very knowledgeable and a cool guy to talk to. The shop offers lessons, gear, accessories, and a network to a kayak community. I really need one kayak of each type (did you hear that, Dave?). After having just completed a kayak camping trip, I'm hooked. I have a new addiction. A new love. I lust after this bright red baby. I can see myself, camping gear loaded, paddling away from civilization, not to return for many days...




Of course, because I still love and lust after Philoboy (more than you wanted to know, right?), I'm not trading him in for a boat.  Not yet, at least.

No comments: